Samiam’s Scribble Pad

March 27, 2010

Photorealistic Prop Look Development : Reference and Modelling of a Teapot

Filed under: Uncategorized — admin @ 3:10 pm


In a few weeks time I am giving a technical demonstration in Ebisu Tokyo to the Vantan Design School.

I have decided to put together a little demonstration of look development that I can complete in front of a crowd of people.

The demonstration will be loading a model, applying surface and displacement shaders and rendering out passes from a Renderman renderer 3delight, then compositing the results together in Apple’s Shake package.

This is where the problem lies:

  1. I don’t have a model
  2. I don’t have a set of textures
  3. I don’t have a shader : light, surface or displacement

I can write the Renderman Shader Language shader code fairly easily, which I hope to put up on this blog.

But I am not the greatest modellor nor the greatest texture artist.

So I went around the house and found a good prop to model. Its something Anna and I bought each other on our honeymoon back in December 2000.

Its a brass miniature teapot with the decoration of the queen of hearts.

So using these images as reference I am hoping that student’s from Danny Ward’s class at TAFE SA North’s CGI course can help out.

The reference images can be found here:

What I am hoping for of the model is this:

Two objects:
Lid and Base(making the base hollow is optional, beyond the openings)

Subdivision surface model, delivered as an OBJ with single UV set and good Normals

Mostly near square quads

Detail down to 1mm (remainder can be done as displacement and bump)

Maximum Polygon size 10mm

UV Coordinates:
Good texture layout with grouping of parts according to material properties
ie all brass in section, front back grouped, base grouped, sides grouped
little distortion in the textures.
Even texel size apart from interior surfaces, for good Z-Brush and Photoshop painting.

Its also topical because this could almost be from the set of Alice in Wonderland given that it is the Queen of Hearts.

The textures can pretty much come from the photo reference once the specular contribution is neutralised.

The textures could be:

Diffuse Colour (photo reference)
Specular Color (white and brass)
Specular Roughness (white = shiny, black = dull)
Brass ID (white = brass, black = not brass, used for energy contribution to specular, reflection etc)
Paint Color IDs (1 channel per paint color, used for effects masking, or colour correction)
Dust/Wear IDs (1 channel for dust, 1 channel for corrosion, 1 channel for wear, to be mixed with energy contributions)
Displacement Broad (overall warping)
Displacement Fine (crazing of paint and brush strokes)
Bump (filing on brass)

Texture detail could be up to 4K maps

March 6, 2010

Lux Render

Filed under: Uncategorized — Tags: — admin @ 10:56 am

LuxRender using Mirror and Gold Metal Materials

LuxRender using Mirror and Gold Metal Materials

First LuxRender

I just tried out a FOSS renderer called LuxRender I recently got some new hardware and wanted to flex its cores and it seems that LuxRender is the perfect platform for it.

Here is the blurb from thier website:

LuxRender is based on PBRT, the unbiased raytracer developed by Matt Pharr and Greg Humphreys for academic use. Pharr and Humphreys were kind enough to provide the source code of their program under the terms of the GPL, thus making the program free software.

In 2007, a small group of programmers led by Terrence Vergauwen took on the challenge to modify the program and make it suitable for artistic use. Late 2007, the initial version of LuxRender was released. With the release of LuxRender 0.5 in June 2008, the program was considered to be usable enough for general use. Since then, the rendering speed and the number of features and available exporters has been growing steadily.

Hopefully I will get some time to make some shiny bling and look into an unbiased brutforce renderer.

In the meantime check out ioxu industries, Ben has done some sweet LuxRender renders over there and given he sits at the neighbouring desk at work, I can probably pick his brain for some ideas

Update: I made some shiny bling

Shiny Bling made in Lux Render after 60 minutes of playtime

Shiny Bling made in Lux Render after 60 minutes of playtime

More Lux Render Experiements

More Lux Render Experiements

Powered by WordPress